Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Stereotypical Male

I am 5’ 8; I work as a business owner just minutes from my home. I went on a date a couple days ago, picked my date up and took them to a restaurant. I paid on the date. I love sports, I consider myself athletic. My favorite sport is hockey. I work all day long and when I come home from work I expect supper to be ready, and the family to be waiting for me to arrive to dinner. My spouse takes care of the children and doesn’t mind doing the cleaning since I am the breadwinner of the home this is the little amount I expect.

What did each sentence in the first paragraph make you think about? Did you believe this was a male or female? Ten years ago you would have immediately assumed the person speaking above was male. In 2010 in today’s society you may however question the above sentences; you may question the fact that many women today are accountants, secretaries, lawyers ect.. Women in today’s society are now allowed to play professional hockey as of September 24, 1992. In this video clip showing how lots of men are proud and happy to see the face of women’s potential and efforts to succeed quite promising and humbling.
Men today are not necessarily expected to pay on dates anymore. Since many women are proud to have income and may consider it disrespectful not given the opportunity to pay. For example when I was leaving blockbuster last week, a couple ahead of me in line were renting a movie the gentlemen immediately went to pay, the woman however; was fuming with her date that he would not allow her to pay for the movie. She then stormed out of blockbuster; this shows how today’s society, is shifting and women are becoming secure not only with their money but realizing their rights as women, and that women deserve respect and independence. Who is to say really whose more eligible to pay for the date?

For years feminists have fought for equality believing it is the key to a better society
. Mullaly suggests ‘famlilism’ which is a set of ideas that characterizes the “normal” or “ideal” where family form as one where the man was the main breadwinner and his wife’s main contribution to the family was through her role as mother, carer and housewife, rather than as a wage-earner and who was therefore, along with her children, financially dependent upon her husband. I believe these differences are due to social conditioning and society as a whole. I trust that women today have far more opportunities then ever before and now have rights. Women were given the right to vote in 1917 when they turn 18 years old.  According to mail online report on mental health people who have management jobs, male or female, were also found to die younger than those with less pressured lifestyle. Researchers have found that parity between the sexes may be bad for your health. So although women are striving to have acceptance and equality between men and are now gaining independence, the facts stated above may show these equalities long term may be critical to our health in both men and women. It is important not only when thinking about women’s future to take into consideration the major effects it may have on our health mentally and physically.


Wikipedia states that feminism is the movements aimed at establishing and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women. Feminism is in search of balance and equality between males and females. Many of these inequalities are also seen in persons with physically disabilities. Not only do the disabled have fewer opportunities because of their accessibility or their physical containing attributions many would also appear to struggle and face discrimination from others depending on their race, sex or socioeconomic status. I believe women should have accessibility to all of the same resources and should continue to be given the chance for equal opportunity with men. But must take into consideration when you do the same job and have the same stresses as men did in the past the same illnesses that they suffer from may follow. If society keeps changing and improving women’s rights like it has been in the past I believe the future holds equality between men and women. Hopefully the reach for both people with physical disabilities and feminists to attain equality is close enough to grasp in the near future.
References:
Mullaly, R. (2007). The new structural social work (3rd Ed.). Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press
http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/1632/

-Autumn B.

6 comments:

  1. Good start Autumn, I really enjoyed how you first started your blog. Makes people think that the statement would be coming from a man. I do believe that today's society is quite a bit different from even 10 or 20 years ago. I can relate to the girl in the blockbuster store where I think in this day, the economic times are hard for everyone not just a woman and not just a man. I believe that women are just as likely to have a well paying job as any man and that splitting the bill or taking turns buying can be seen as a norm now. The man is not always the breadwinner and I have seen this first hand because in my family, my mother is the 'breadwinner' and step-father is the 'breadmaker'.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Autumn, I also really liked how you decided to start your post and I automatically assumed the person was male. I agree that women have achieved much independence and respect but I still think society has some way to go. It is baffling that women are still paid less then men are in today's work world. I think that I would rather have equal opportunities and live a life that I wanted the way I wanted and maybe not live as long as I would have if I would have maintained a role as a good housewife.

    Alexis B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the way you started this was great. I personally think women will always be struggling for equality. Society has for sure come a long way, but we will never be completely equal. A friend of mine is taking engineering at UofM and was one of the only four girls in her class. She always tells me how she feels like she has to try harder because of it. As for paying for dinner or dates, I refuse to let the guy pay. I make my own money and don't want to rely on him to pay for it.

    Brittney M

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting post. I found myself laughing a little when I read the part about the woman storming out of Blockbuster because her date wouldn't let her pay. This is really interesting to me. As much as women like to be equal to men, every woman I know (including myself) would definitely not object if the male was offering to pay! However, many women I know would also offer to pay, but would not be offended if the male said no. I also like how you started this blog. Very creative. I've been thinking about what it would be like if men and women were completely equal. This would mean that in past years when men were forced to fight in the war, that women would have had to also. I believe that men and women should be equal for the most part, but at the same time there will always be some things that women won't be expected to do.

    - Amanda P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn,
    As we discussed in several courses, I still find it amazing that on average, women are still not paid on par with male counterparts for the same job. I find it hard to believe that equality between the sexes will be a quick process. I am, however, glad we live in Canada where there are organizations who are looking out for the equality of women. It will take time to change this inequality, as with any process of change. People are resistant to change; it is human nature. In some countries the inequality is exponentially worse than we experience here. Having a global promotion of women’s rights will eventually equalize, but like you say, it is a long time in coming. According to the Government of Canada, “Canada is a world leader in the promotion and protection of women's rights and gender equality. These issues are central to Canada's foreign and domestic policies. Canada is committed to the view that gender equality is not only a human rights issue, but is also an essential component of sustainable development, social justice, peace, and security” (Canada’s commitment to gender equality and the advancement of women’s rights internationally, March 2, 2010, Retrieved from http://www.international.gc.ca/rights-droits/women-femmes/equality-egalite.aspx). The evolution of change has been significant in the last century and I am grateful for the progress so far. However, I am excited that there are several Canadian and International organizations committed to continuing the process to reach equality of the genders that in all aspects is our right.
    -Darcie B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i first read this, i did think that statement was coming from a male, but I see your point, and you're right! I'm glad that society is how it is today and women do have equal rights.

    -Allery

    ReplyDelete