Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old age: an invisible disability

    Throughout the whole world, the elderly population has been increasing both quantitatively and proportionally. According to the WHO (2009), it is estimated that current population of over-65 years of age, which is 390 million now, will be twice in 2025. With this being said, the chances of living with a disability as you age is much greater. Whether it is physically visible or not, it is still a disability. Some elders not only have to cope with disabilities but they also have to cope with lonliness.
    With all the advances in health care, life expectancy has risen. Canadians over 65 in particular can expect to live longer. Living with old age as a disability is not only a burden for the elderly person, but also their family. It's horrible to say that they are a burden because nobody wants to think of their grandparent or elderly parent as a burden. Many families however have their grandparents living with them, and many parents taking time off work to help care for them.
    My grandma suffers from osteoporosis and as she gets older I see it bring her down physically and emotionally. She can no longer open jars or even pour a glass of milk. She is terrified to walk outside in the winter because she doesn't want to slip and fall. My grandpa thankfully is still there to help her, but he too is getting older and one day won't be able to.
    Even though aging may not be seen as a disability by some, it most certainly is. Many seniors are treated poorly just because of their age by some people. The same way those with a visible physical disability are treated poorly. We are all human beings and there is no need to bring anybody down just because they may be incapable of something.

References
Mollaoglu, M., Tuncay, F. O., & Fertelli, T. K. (2010). Mobility disability and life satisfaction in elderly people. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 51, 115-119.

Brittney M

7 comments:

  1. I really like your choice of blog topic Brittney. This blog reminds me of something my brother told me. He is a biology major and he told me that human bodies were only made to withstand the age of about 30. If this is true, this is probably why more and more people, seniors in particular, are developing physical disabilities; our bodies weren't meant to be this old. I thought this was interesting because, tying to what you said, the average age of Canadians is rising, probably because more and more knowledge is becoming available about how to live longer; except people's bodies are taking a beating in the process.

    -Avery F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittney, I can't believe that the elder population is already 390 million now and will be twice that in 2025. I have to say that i'm not sure if I agree with you that elderly people are a burden. I have an 83 year old grandmother that still lives in her own house, does all her grocery shopping and bill paying on her own. She has arthritis and among other medical disadvantages that make it difficult physically for her to do things on her own but she doesn't want to depend on anyone but herself. I do agree that in some cases elderly people may need assistance to achieve day to day living but I do not think they are a burden. They once took care of their children and maybe grandchildren and I think it is only in kind good heart to help them in return and they can be seen as 'deserving poor'.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that was a unique way to look at old age as being seen as a disability. I can definitely think of many disadvantages people of old age must face. I also didn’t know that people of old age are increasing and living longer. I completely agree that the chances of living with a disability whether it be physical or mentally is probably much greater as you age then those who are of middle age or younger.

    -Autumn B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not saying all are burdens by any means. I love my grandparents to death and would do anything for them. There are some families though who act like its the end of the world to have to go shopping for a grandparent.
    The elder abuse commercial made me want to do a blog on this. It happens all the time and nobody seems to do anything about it.

    Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting discussion... I wonder how ageism fits into all this?

    Your post raises many provocative questions. Is caregiving of older people a burden? If yes, then is caregiving of children a burden? IF caregiving is sometimes burdensome, is that all that it is? And how is the provision of care by family members constructed in the academic literature and in social policy?

    The other interesting set of questions is around old age as disability. The changes in the body, which result in increasing amounts of chronic illness (statistically), do not speak to the whole person. What about the increasing life experience and wisdom that many older people have to share? I am learning more and more from my mother, the older she gets. She is such an inspiration to me and is teaching me so many important life lessons in her 80s. So while we need to attend to bodily care issues and health care, I believe it's also important to not let these issues define who older people are. (I'm not talking about your post, Brittney, but the discussion as a whole and the questions it raised in me.)

    It sounds to me like you are concerned about the treatment of older people by society. I am, too.

    I'm glad you were inspired by the elder abuse commercial. I've been skeptical about the value of these commercials, but I'm beginning to change my mind.

    Good discussion on a topic close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittney, good post! As people get older they grow increasingly vulnerable and less capable to care for themselves as they may once have been able to. I think it is horrible that sometimes people take advantage of these weaknesses and try to benefit themselves. Before my Grandma passed away she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. After seeing how drastically this changed her, and how vulnerable it made her I am scared for other people who have this disease.
    -Eliza R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good subject Brittney! I am finding this is relative to seniors in my family. I think it is very sad how elderly people are mistreated as they get older because of the deterioration of their bodies. It is only natural! Also, I understand that it must be very difficult and depressing for them to accept that they cannot do what they were able to do when they were younger. For another thing, I was looking into this on different websites and I found a list of things that change as the body ages. One of which is, "Bone mass or density is lost as people age, especially in women after menopause. The bones lose calcium and other minerals." If you'd like to read more the website is:

    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004015.htm

    Very good post!

    -Marina R

    ReplyDelete